Past Life Connections An Ancient Longing And A Lesson From Our Ancestors.
Remembering Ancestors In Carn Euny:
Have you ever traveled to a place that suddenly makes you feel “at home”? Have you ever felt drawn to a location that somehow makes you feel that you have been there before or a location that you want to come back to time and time again? Have you ever felt that tinge of something special that instantly makes you feel connected to a place,
something you can’t quite put your finger on but
makes you feel like you have “arrived home” and this is where home is? Have these
feelings surprised you, taken you aback, and hit you emotionally and
wondrously? Does that feeling go deeper, perhaps even back to something that is
deeply rooted in your psyche like an ancient longing or perhaps even a past
life? Well, that was a feeling that I experienced recently when I visited one
of Cornwall’s most interesting ancient sites, called Carn Euny.
Carn Euny is an archaeological site located in a remote position on the Penwith peninsula near Sancreed in West Cornwall. There is evidence of both Iron Age and pre-Iron Age settlements and also evidence of activity as early as the Neolithic period and evidence that the first timber huts there were built around 200 BC but were replaced by stone huts, the remains of which are standing today. Now interestingly I am having an emotional rollercoaster ride while I write this, so please excuse me while I compose myself…..more on that shortly! But back to Carn Euny. The most spectacular part of Carn Euny is the Fogou (Cornish for “cave”), an underground passageway that is 65 feet in length and ends in a well-preserved chamber built out of massive stone slabs. The purpose of this structure is a mystery but possibilities include storage, habitation, or even ritual. It wasn’t until the Roman period that the site was abandoned.
My Feeling At Carn Euny:
I feel totally at peace in such locations and they help with clarity of thought. I sense a longing for the ancient ways, a life of simplicity (although life in those times would have been harsh by our standards – harsh in a different way?), and free from the perceived “trappings” of the 21st century. I have found myself wanting to give up computers, TV, and mobile ‘phones, to go back to nature, back to ancient times, and go “back home”. Can we all tap into those feelings when out in the wilds? Is it that we are taken back to a time of our ancestral roots, a feeling that lurks deep down within the bowels of our “make-up”, our DNA even? Or are we tapping into some past life? This a question I have been asking myself since my experience at Carn Euny.
My Concentration On CARN Euny
I felt a real pull towards this ancient settlement after a visit was suggested. To find it you have to drive along with a no-through road that is a mile in length, is very narrow in places, and with many bends to negotiate. But that didn’t matter. Once there I was stunned by its homely feel, despite the ruins. Somehow it felt as if I belonged. That sudden rush of ancient longing seemed to want to keep me there. Although I had a physical home to go back to, it felt like I had found a new home, a spiritual home. My overriding feeling was one of extreme peace and tranquility. Of course, we don’t know what life was really like there, but I felt that this was a community of spirit and peaceful occupation. And the feelings became even more intense inside the Fogou and chamber. In its appearance, it is a circular domed chamber that despite a modern roof (as the original had long collapsed) retained a sense of extreme peace. A well-placed stone slab had been left in the chamber (possibly a modern placement), inviting you to sit, contemplate or meditate. Being inside this structure was almost like going back in time.
And
the image I saw was of someone – me, presumably – emerging from a roundhouse.
Quite clearly I saw this image of a roundhouse – stone slabs for walls,
thatched roof. I was dressed in simple skins or a woven tunic and while I
couldn’t recognize this man as being me, I did wonder if indeed that was a past
life. You can make up your mind of course but I don’t always believe in
coincidences! But back to Carn Euny. In this chamber, I felt protected and
comfortable. The place was also deserted. There was no one else around. It
wasn’t until I finally dragged myself away that the connection seemed to
dissipate and as if by magic, more visitors suddenly started to appear! So what
happened there that day that I shall never forget? More interestingly what
happened inside that chamber and why did I feel emotional, almost tearful but
in a sort of happy way? Was I supposed to visit the site at that time and was
it a mere coincidence that no one else was there apart from my partner who was
sitting quietly elsewhere on the site? The atmosphere at Carn Euny is something
very special. It was as if time had been suddenly reversed. Why do I say that?
Well after leaving the perimeter of the settlement, you walk back onto the 21st
century managed and maintained land. And crucially the atmosphere completely
changed. So tangible that it was as if a door or portal had opened and closed
again.
Spiritual In Nature:
It is a blessing to be cherished. Of course, it is not a case of dwelling on a “past life” metaphorically speaking and in the physical sense. It is not good to continually look back on our own lives and ponder the “what ifs” and “why didn’t I’s”. Learn from the past but live in the present. After all, we can’t magically go back in time. However spiritually and holistically speaking, by tuning in to the past lives of our ancient ancestors, by connecting to the land that they once inhabited we could learn a thing or two. How to treat our land with respect. How to live a life free of excesses. How to live more simply. All within the comforts of the 21st century. Now that’s being human. That’s allowing our true spiritual nature to shine. That’s a good way to live. If we all did that on a global scale,
just imagine being in no doubt that I will be visiting Carn Euny again very soon. I feel the urge to return as soon as possible and see what else I can experience. I have visited many of our ancient sites and they all stop me in my tracks and make me reconnect. But none more so than Carn Euny. I am especially pleased that I have made a connection that feels real and tangible and the strength of my emotions has somehow confirmed a past life that was in all respects a time of happy memories.








0 Comments
If you have any doubt, please let me know